Most people know they need to see a dentist when it’s time to extract their wisdom teeth, but what they don’t realize is that it’s not a general dentist they need but an oral surgeon! You wouldn’t go to your family doctor for a heart bypass surgery. Here are the top 5 reasons you should seek out an oral or maxillofacial surgeon for the extraction of your wisdom teeth.
1. Expert Advice. Oral surgeons have specific knowledge and expertise about wisdom teeth, their condition, problems they may be causing, and the best course of treatment to prevent complications. Their in-depth knowledge of wisdom teeth will help you make informed decisions.
2. Faster and Easier Recovery. Expert oral surgeons have surgical techniques and practice that allow them to perform the procedure in less time than it would take a general dentist. In most cases the extraction of all four wisdom teeth can be done in 20-30 minutes by an oral surgeon, and a less intrusive procedure leads to a faster recovery. Patients can usually get back to work or school a couple days after the operation.
3. IV Sedation Anesthesia. Oral surgeons are the only type of dentist who are trained and qualified in providing IV sedation anesthesia which allows patients to sleep during the wisdom teeth extraction, making the procedure more comfortable for the patient. The best a general dentist can do is a local anesthetic, which means a patient will be alert for the procedure.
4. Get The Job Done. Oral surgeons are prepared and have seen nearly everything that can go wrong with an extraction procedure. With a general dentist, they can actually get stuck during the procedure and have to go in again at a later date.
5. Less Problems. The experience and skill set of an oral surgeon helps them to prevent common problems such as infection, dry socket, or nerve damage. All of these problems are preventable and oral surgeons use their years of experience and surgical knowledge to extract wisdom teeth with minimal risks.
If your general dentist says they can extract your wisdom teeth, let them know that you’d rather have an experienced oral surgeon do the procedure. Contact Davis Oral Surgery in Raleigh, NC or call 919-488-2194 to schedule an evaluation and save yourself from potential problems.